United Way of the Capital Region reaches fundraising goal

The United Way of the Capital Region announced their campaign fundraising figures for 2012, saying they exceeded their goals for the 16th consecutive year by raising $11.8 million. The final figure surpassed last year’s total by $519,574.

“To surpass our goal during these challenging times is nothing short of extraordinary,” said Greg Gunn, the Chairman of the 2012 Annual Campaign at the United Way of the Capital Region and Managing Partner of Gunn Mowery. “As these difficult times continue, more and more people need the safety net of programs and services supported by our United Way. We shared this message with the community throughout the campaign and people responded with extraordinary goodwill.”

Gunn Mowery was proud to be a contributing donor to the annual United Way of the Capital Region Campaign in 2012 and recognizes Mr. Gunn’s significant part in raising funds and awareness for the United Way. The agency, a leader in the region for its insurance services, will continue to support United Way campaigns in the future.

About Gunn Mowery
Founded in 1985, Gunn Mowery is an independent insurance broker providing commercial insurance, personal insurance, employee benefits, captive insurance, financial services and surety bonds to clients in Central Pennsylvania and beyond. Our professionals are licensed in 35 states and have placement capabilities worldwide. We have four offices in Cumberland County (Lemoyne), Lancaster County (Lancaster), York County (Dillsburg), and Centre County (State College).

Recognized locally, regionally and nationally in our industry for service, innovation and best practices standards, we continue to meet the needs of our clients. To learn more about our agency, visit www.GunnMowery.com, or e-mail us at info@gunnmowery.com.

Select Insurance Group Issues National Flood Insurance Program Notification

Last May, President Barack Obama signed HR 5740, which phases out subsidized premium rates for certain properties coded as non-principal/non-primary residences. A non-principal/non-primary residence is defined as a building that will not be lived in by the insured or insured’s spouse for at least 80-percent of the 365 days following the policy effective date.

In order to satisfy the requirements of this bill, Pre-Firm single-family, 2-4 family and other residential occupancies insured as unit owner properties currently coded as non-primary residence homes in Selective’s system will receive 25-percent rate increase each year beginning in January 1, 2013 until the average risk premium rate for such properties is equal to the average risk premium rates for actuarially-rated properties.

Per National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) requirements, Selective Insurance Group will be sending out the attaached NFIP non-principal/non-primary residence policyholder notice on all dwelling policies beginning March 1, 2013 to provide customers the opportunity to correct the policy rating if necessary from non-primary to primary.

As indicated in the letter, customers can either contact you, their agent to request the change or they can sign and submit the letter to Selective directly for processing. If the customer contacts you directly, you will need to submit the request as you would any other premium impacting endorsement.

* * *

If you should have any further questions on this change, please contact Gunn Mowery at 1-800-840-1243, or email us at info@gunnmowery.com.

Gunn-Mowery accepts no liability for the content of this blog post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified disclosing, copying, distributing, or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. Content that appears is not intended to substitute for personalized professional insurance advice.

FAQ: Collision Damage Waivers for Rental Cars

Collission Damage Waivers for Rental Cars

Below are some frequently asked questions regarding collision damage waivers (CDW). We have provided this for your continued awareness. Enjoy:

Q: I’m going on vacation and plan to rent a car. I’ve been told my personal auto policy will cover the rental vehicle. Is this true?

A: The majority of auto insurance companies will extend coverage from your personal auto policy to a rental vehicle. With most policies, coverage pays for actual repairs to the rental car, but you remain responsible for your policy deductible. In addition, the rental agreement often makes you responsible for additional items. If your personal auto policy no longer includes comprehensive or collision coverage, the rental car will not be covered if it’s stolen or damaged. In addition, if you rent a car outside the United States, coverage may not be extended.

Q: I’ve also heard that if I used my credit card to pay for the rental vehicle, the rental vehicle will be covered. Is this true?

A: Many, but not all, credit card companies offer rental insurance, and will pay for damage to a rental car if you pay with that card, but the coverage will be secondary to your personal auto policy. In other words, your credit car company may pick up whatever your personal auto insurer does not pay, such as your deductible.

Q: If my personal auto policy covers my rental car, and my credit card covers my deductible, doesn’t this mean I’m fully covered?

A: While your personal auto policy and use of a credit card may provide sufficient coverage, they frequently fall short. Neither will cover costs and fees such as towing, loss of use (the period the rental car is out of service for repairs), diminished value (wrecked and repaired cars are viewed as less valuable than undamaged factory originals) and administrative fees, all of which may be tacked on by the rental company in the event of an accident, and all of which you can be held liable for. The renter is always responsible for any loss or damage to a rental vehicle, regardless of who is at fault.

Q: In that case, would it be wise to purchase the extra “insurance” offered by the rental car company?

A: A collision damage waiver (CDW) purcahsed from a rental car company essentially takes the place of your own collision and comprehensive insurance, letting you and your insurance company off the hook if you wreck the rental car, or it’s stolen or vandalized. In exchange for purchasing the CDW, the rental company agrees to “waive” claims against you for damages in the event of an accident. But your CDW coverage could become void if the accident was caused because you were speeding, driving under the influence, or the accident was the result of a reckless act or error on your part.

Q: Does this mean I should purchase the CDW offered by the rental agency?

A:Before renting, familiarize yourself with your insurance options by:

  • Contacting your independent insurance agent and finding out if you have enough coverage under your existing policy.
  • Contacting your credit card company to find out if it offers rental car coverage, and if there any restrictions or limitations.

If the two coverage methods mentioned above seem inadequate for your needs, you may wish to consider the purchase of a CDW.

Q: How do I know what I should do?

A: Making such a personal decision about your options is yours — and yours alone under the law. As your independent insurance agent, Gunn Mowery can help explain these options. Gunn Mowery provides this information so you can make informed decisions.