How to adequately prepare for natural disasters
Severe weather can come in many shapes and sizes. It may take the form of heavy rain or snow, strong winds, thunder, lightning or flooding. When it comes to protecting your home and auto, you must prepare for the worst. If damaging weather does come your way, here are some suggestions on what to do when the storm has passed:
1. Contact your agent or insurance company as soon as possible to arrange a visit from an adjuster.
2. Take photographs of any damage before doing repairs to your home. Also, make an itemized list of all damage sustained during the storm and its aftermath.
3. Protect your home from further damage by making only temporary repairs until your insurance company advises you further. Save all receipts for materials purchased for repairs.
4. Exercise caution when beginning repairs and clean up. Be careful with power tools such as chainsaws, and use proper safety equipment like safety helmets and protective glasses.
5. Do not have permanent repairs made until your insurance company has inspected the property and you have reached an agreement on the repair costs.
6. If necessary, rent temporary shelter. If your home is uninhabitable, most policies pay additional living expenses while it is being repaired. Before renting temporary shelter, check with your insurance company or agent to determine what expenses will be reimbursed.
7. Unless you have purchased extra coverage, food lost in a power outage is most likely not covered. Consider buying an endorsement to cover future food losses.
8. Damages to appliances from a power surge are typically covered, however, some electronic components may not be. Check with your agent to see what your policy covers.
9. Most damage to your home or surrounding structures from fallen trees is covered. Check with your agent or company before calling a tree removal service. Those costs may be covered, too.
10. Damage to your vehicles from fallen trees or debris may be covered by your auto policy. Check with your agent.
A Gunn Mowery account executive experienced in obtaining coverage for such coverage can help sift through the issues and identify appropriate policies. Contact Gunn Mowery’s offices today at (800)840-1243 or email@example.com. Become our Facebook fan at www.facebook.com/gunnmowery